Call for Learning Prep School Board Members
The Learning Prep School Board of Directors is currently seeking up to three new members to serve on the Board beginning in March 2017. These are voluntary positions that require between 5 – 15 hours per month of service, including monthly board meetings, as well as, a charitable commitment to the school. Further details of the position and applicant qualifications are listed below.
Board member position
The Board supports the work of LPS and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the LPS Executive Director, the Board-Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Service on the LPS Board of Directors is without remuneration. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the LPS school as s/he develops and implements LPS’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by LPS for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving LPS’ annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the board in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing LPS to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring LPS’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities LPS serves
Learning Prep School Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held as determined by each committee.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about education, particularly education for students who face significant learning challenges. Selected Board members will bring deep knowledge in either business, education, government, philanthropy, or technology. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, education, philanthropy, or technology
- A commitment to and understanding the population educated by Learning Prep, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of the students of LPS
The Board is interested in adding new Board members with some specific areas of qualification or experience to ensure the Board has the skill sets to support the LPS’ strategic needs. Experience or qualifications in any of the following areas will be greatly valued:
Commercial Real Estate
Private school operations/ Special Education
Learning Prep School Board members are expected to consider LPS a charitable priority. In order to ensure that LPS can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, it is essential to have 100 percent of Board members make an annual contribution.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 17th.